Sigil is a free, open source, multi-platform ebook editor that uses Qt (and QtWebEngine). It is designed to edit books in ePub format (both ePub 2 and ePub 3).
For the impatient, the installer files (and source) can be found as assets at the bottom of the Sigil Github Release page.
Sigil-0.9.18 represents a mix of new features and bug fixes.
- fix bug in macOS that caused spurious warnings about missing file in the manifest
- hopefully fix macOS bug about launching files using open-with from Desktop
- fix local links during split that incorrectly used target filename for internal link
- create GetEnvironmentVar to make access to environment variables more cross-platform
- fix macOS bug when hitting close on the title bar of MainWindow causing strange window behaviour
- hopefully fix macOS segfault on close by disabling Preview timer immediately
- fix Windows 7 issues when running batch (.bat) files via OpenExternally (open with)
- all error messages are now properly logged
- fix improperly disabled open-with menu in Image Tabs popup context menu
- removed use of Qt obsolete methods in About and Error Dialogs
- enable use of SIGIL_DEBUG_LOGFILE environment var to control saving debug output to a file
- properly update the ncx after merging xhtml files
- properly warn users if a multiple rendition epub (multiple OPF files) has been loaded
- make Sigil’s external XHtml editor work to pass an OPF file (see PageEdit new features)
- Allow epub3 metadata editor to edit primary meta tags
- Replace buggy cssutils module used in plugins with our own drop-in replacement fork: css-parser
- Updated Mac, Windows, and Linux build documentation
Be aware that Sigil-0.9.18 no longer enforces the need for epub3 to have and support an NCX for the purposes of backward compatibility with epub2 reading systems. There are, however, built-in tools to allow users to add backward compatibility features such as the NCX to their epub3.
- Its website is located at http://sigil-ebook.com
- Its current code repository is located at https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil
- Translations are located at https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/sigil/
- Support forums are located at http://www.mobileread.com/forums Select Sigil from the list of main forums
- Sigil Plugin Index (hosted by www.mobileread.com) at http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247431